Such a long time since I’ve updated this blog. Back in October, once the Apiguard treatment was completed, I started feeding the bees again with sugar syrup. They got through a total of 15kg of sugar in syrup form.
As I started with this colony late in the season (the end of July) I worry about the bees having enough food stores (most new beekeepers seem to worry about their bees!). So it was back to the kitchen to make fondant. To make this you dissolve sugar in water with a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar to make a syrup, then boil until it reaches 112C. You then whisk it until it goes white with air bubbles. I put a lump of this fondant, once set, in the hive. The bees, so far have eaten about half a kilo of this. Fondant is fed to bees during colder months because it has a lower water content than sugar syrup. When bees store the syrup, they have to evaporate some of the water before it can be capped (sealed with wax). They do this by fanning it with their wings. This is harder for them to do in cold weather.
I fitted a mouse guard across the hive entrance in December. Mice apparently find beehives an attractive home for the winter – warm and plenty of food. They can squeeze in through very small holes and wreak havoc. The metal mouse guard has 9mm holes.
I haven’t opened the hive (apart from taking of the roof for a quick peek) since October but I’ve been checking regularly, seeing if there is still fondant left, listening for signs of life within and removing the occasional dead bee from the hive entrance. One day last week it was dry and a mild 10 degrees C and when I checked the hive I could see a few bees coming and going. So, some are still alive, just hope the queen is still in there.